Relish is one of those dishes that can be used in various foods to give it a little extra punch in taste. When this relish gets cooked down, its so sweet and delicious that you want more.
If you look some online they only use 3 of 4 ingredients in theirs but I love mine with a little extra that can be used on meats or as a spread.
Sweet Pepper RelishCourse: Sides, Appetizers, ToppingsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 large red peppers, diced
2 large yellow peppers, diced
1 large orange pepper, diced
4 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1/8 cup olive oil
1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar alternative
1 teaspoon Smoked Sweet Paprika
1 teaspoon fresh Ground Black Pepper
Just a pinch of Sea Salt
- In a medium skillet or saute pan, heat olive oil to medium high heat and add onions, cooking until soft and translucent
- Add garlic and continue to cook for another minute or two until garlic starts to become fragrant (watch garlic closely so that it does not burn)
- Add the diced peppers and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add about 3 Tablespoons of water to the peppers and then add balsamic vinegar, sugar, Smoked Sweet Paprika, Ground Black Pepper and Salt to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Heat to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or allow to cool and refrigerate for up to one week.