Churros are best made at home to ensure their delicious crispness and freshness! Covered in cinnamon sugar, fried to perfection these are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The Family went crazy over and I made gluten free so I can some but you can make with regular flour too.
WHAT IS A CHURRO?
A churro is a fried dough pastry made from a mixture of flour, butter, eggs and salt. The dough is fried until they become crunchy and is sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. They are typically sold in long pieces or small bites. Churros taste like a little fried dough ball coated in cinnamon sugar.
Make homemade churros with a few basic ingredients. Gather the ingredients and prepare the dough.
- Gluten Free Flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour but you can use regular flour
- Butter – Use unsalted butter. You can use salted butter in a pinch, but you may need to reduce the additional salt in the recipe. Use dairy free substitute like Earth Balance, Country Crock or Nutiva.
- Eggs – Helps form the batter. You can use egg substitute to make this vegan.
- Salt – A necessary ingredient for the batter. If you use salted butter than omit this.
- Cinnamon – Adds flavor.
- Sugar – You can use granulated sugar or coconut sugar. I used Monk Fruit to make it Keto.
- Vanilla Extract- A great sweet flavor
- Canola or Vegetable Oil – For frying the churros. If you don’t fry it, you can air fry the churros.
You will also need a pastry bag and large star tip to form the churros.
How to make churros
- Prepare the coating: In a shallow dish, mix sugar and cinnamon. Then, set aside for later.
- Heat the oil: Prepare for frying by heating vegetable oil in a deep pan or cast-iron pot.
- Make the dough: In a saucepan, boil water along with butter, sugar, and the other spices. Then, add in flour and keep stirring until fully incorporated and the dough forms. It is okay if it is not as smooth as you would want it since you will be mixing it again later.
- Add the eggs: Transfer the dough into another bowl to cool for about 5 minutes, then add in an egg.
- Transfer to a piping bag: Use the 16-inch one for this. To form the ridges as you pipe out the dough, use the star tip.
- Fry: Pipe out the dough into the heated oil. In 5-piece batches, fry each side for about 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Coat: Once cooked, drain the excess oil by transferring the pieces onto a plate lined with paper towels. Then, roll each one onto the sugar mixture earlier prepared.
- Serve: Serve warm with your favorite sauce!
Can I use the Air Fryer?
Yes you can!
- Pipe churros onto the prepared silicone mat, into 4-inch (10 cm) length, then cut the end with scissors. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove churros from the refrigerator. Using a spatula, carefully transfer to the air fryer basket. (leave 1/2 inch space between them) Spray churros with cooking spray.
- Set the temperature at 375 F (190 C) Air fry for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove fried churros from the fryer and transfer to the bowl with sugar mixture. Toss well. Serve warm with your favorite dip
How do you keep churros crispy?
To ensure their crispness, do not overcrowd the pan while frying. Overcrowding will lower the temperature of the oil which makes the pieces a little soggy and not as crunchy as you would like them to be.
Can you keep churros dough overnight?
Yes! Simply cover the uncooked dough and place it in the fridge. It will even stay good for up to 3 day
How do you reheat churros?
You can fry them again to reheat them, typically at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Just avoid the microwave, it will make them soggy. Reheat in the Air Fryer at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes.
TIPS FOR MAKING MINI CHURROS
- Use a candy thermometer for the temperature.
- The churro dough batter should relatively thick, such that it forms small stable pieces of churro when pipped through the star tip. The batter should not be thin and runny.
- Use a 1/2″ closed star tip for pipping. The closed star tip helps create more defined edges for the perfect consistency and crispy texture.
- When the churros are golden brown remove them from the oil. When in doubt, fry a little longer so that they are crispy. If undercooked, they are raw and doughy in the center.
- Serve the homemade churros with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or your favorite dipping sauce. Use store-bought chocolate sauce or homemade by melting chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
Homemade Gluten Free ChurrosCourse: DessertCuisine: Mexican
Churros are best made at home to ensure their delicious crispness and freshness! Covered in cinnamon sugar, fried to perfection these are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
1 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter diced into small pieces
2 tablespoons sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free flour
2 large eggs room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vegetable oil for frying
- Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 cup sugar substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon Sugar
- In a shallow dish, whisk together sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Make the Batter
- Place water, unsalted butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the flour with a rubber spatula, stir constantly until the mixture comes together and is shiny and smooth, with no lumps (a few tiny lumps are ok).
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl, and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a hand electric mixer, whisk in vanilla and the eggs into the flour mixture until fully combined and smooth. The mixture may start to separate, keep mixing until its combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with 1/2 inch star tip.
- Fry the Churros
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pot or deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high. The oil should reach 360 degrees Fahrenheit, use a candy thermometer to check the temperature.
- Carefully pipe the mixture into the preheated oil, pressing about 6-inch lengths churros and cutting the end with clean scissors. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer fried churros to paper towels for about 2-3 minutes, after that toss into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Serve warm with chocolate or caramel sauce for dipping.