I made two versions of the chayote gratin and this one is gluten-free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan. The other one is Keto Chayote Bacon Gratin and that recipe’s link is HERE
Let’s talk about chayote squash and how its a great alternative for potatoes and apples. Its low carb but packed with fiber, antioxidants and essential nutrients that make it a healthy addition if you keto, gluten free, low carb, vegetarian or vegan.
The chayote squash is a green tropical fruit that resembles a cucumber in flavor. It has a great crunchy texture but it can be cooked, baked and used in many of your recipes. Chayote can be eaten raw or cooked. Store chayote in the refrigerator in a plastic veggie bag for up to two weeks. The skin can be peeled or left on before using it.
You can add them to variety of dishes like into stews, casseroles, stuffed, added to a salad, gratin and desserts. Its definitely something to try.
Nutritional Value of a Chayote (1 cup)
Fat- 0.2 grams
Carbs- 6 grams
Sugar- 2 grams
Protein- 1.1 grams
To make this recipe, the peeled the skin from chayote but you can keep if you like. I cut right in the where the dimple starts so I can remove the soft pit inside.
Grab a large pan and the olive oil, add the onions and garlic, Sauté them till they were cooked. Next add the chayote slices and stir it all together for another 10 minutes. Add your salt and pepper.
In a bowl, add your non dairy milk, half of the dairy free or vegan cheddar cheese, vegetable broth/stock, nutritional yeast and cornstarch (or xanthan gum). Mix it well and no lumps. Add the cheese mixture to it and stir well. Pour the mixture into a deep dish pan and add the rest of the dairy free cheese on top.
Bake it for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chayote is tender. Enjoy!
Dairy Free Chayote GratinCourse: SidesCuisine: American, CaribbeanDifficulty: Moderate
A low carb cheesy gratin that uses chayote squash as a great alternative for potatoes.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup vegetable broth or stock
1 cup dairy free or vegan cheddar cheese
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. cornstarch or xanthan gum
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven 375
- In a pan add your olive oil and add the onions and garlic and sautéed them till they were cooked.
- Next add the chayote slices and stir it all together for another 10 minutes
- In a small bowl, add the non dairy milk, vegetable broth/stock, half of the dairy free cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, salt and pepper; mix well
- In a deep dish pan add your chayote mixer and than add the cheese mixer. Stir it well then add the rest of the dairy free cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top or the chayote is tender