Taquitos, or flautas as some people may call them, are delicious crispy tortillas filled with a yummy meat filling. With a wide variety of options for fillings, it’s easy to find a combination that everyone will enjoy.
These AIR FRYER Chicken Taquitos are loaded with homemade spices, salsa, shredded chicken and cheese, crispy on the outside, and beyond simple to make in your air fryer! Dip these in salsa or queso for a fun snack or quick dinner.
Using the Air Fryer to make these is great because you can get the outside of the tortillas really crispy without frying and adding oil. If you don’t have an air fryer, I will share how to bake it with you below.
If you need a little more information on Air Fryers, tips and tricks and more
check out this LINK HERE on it.
To make chicken taquitos you will need
- Shredded chicken: You can use any type of chicken you have on hand and shred it or use rotisserie chicken.
- Salsa: any type of Mexican salsa will work. You can also replace the salsa with half the amount of canned jalapenos or chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Shredded Cheese: Mexican or taco blend, Monterey jack, cheddar, OR your favorite melting cheese will work!
- Spices: 4 tablespoons of the chicken taco seasoning
- Tortillas: small corn OR flour taco size, gluten free or low carb (about 4”) tortillas
How to make Chicken Taquitos
Step 1: Let us make the spices for the chicken.
Chicken taco seasoning is so much better than any store bought ones. A few pantry staples and you’re on your way to delicious chicken tacos, burritos, taquitos, bowls and salads. Here is the link to make your very own chicken taco seasoning- Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning
Step 2: Shred the chicken into small pieces, add to frying pan with oil and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken seasoning and 1/4 cup of salsa. Stir well and cook for another 5 minutes
Step 3: Grab your wraps and warm them up in the microwave for 30 seconds. It will help to roll better to make your taquitos. In a bowl melt a stick of butter or butter substitute.
Step 4: Add 1-2 tablespoons of shredded Mexican cheese and then add 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken mixture. Brush a little butter around the wrap and roll it as tight as you can.
Step 5: Cover the outer area with butter. Flap of the taquito needs to face down on the air fryer basket. Preheat Air Fryer 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. Check after 10 to make its not burning.
Step 6: You are ready serve with salsa or queso for dipping. Sour-cream, Guacamole or avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime for topping optional
How to bake it in the oven? Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place taquitos on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the outside is super crispy.
Air Fryer Chicken TaquitosCourse: AppetizersCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Medium
Taquitos, or flautas as some people may call them, are delicious crispy tortillas filled with a yummy meat filling. With a wide variety of options for fillings, it’s easy to find a combination that everyone will enjoy
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
3-4 tablespoons chicken taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican blend, cheddar, or your favorite melting cheese
1/4 cup cup salsa of choice
12-14 small or medium corn or flour tortillas (regular, gluten free or low carb)
8 tablespoons butter or dairy free substitute, Melted
- Combine Shredded chicken, spices and salsa in a pan and cook until well incorporated
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface and divide the chicken and cheese mixture among the 12 to 14 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla tightly. Brush with a light layer of oil or melted butter
- To Bake
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place taquitos on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the outside is super crispy.
- To Air Fry
- Place taquitos in the air fryer in a single layer without overcrowding. Air fry at 400F for 12-15 minutes or until crispy. Open the air fryer after 10 minutes to check on them to avoid burning
- If you don/t want to use butter, you can cooking oil spray.
Serving: 1 Taquito / Calories: 220kcal / Carbohydrates: 17g / Net Carbs: 8g/ Protein: 14g / Fat: 10g /Sugar: 2gThis is based on a regular corn or flour tortilla