Its National Cooking Day on September 25.
National Cooking Day encourages and inspires each of us to discover something new and enjoyable in the kitchen. It’s a time to learn a new skill by preparing something delicious for loved ones.
Here is an easy 30-minute meal that you can do and maybe bring the family to help out.
Vegan Stir Fry Sesame Noodles with Veggies
Wonderful vegan stir fry noodles made in just 30 minutes for the perfect weeknight dinner! These easy sesame noodles have a homemade stir fry sauce and a boost of plant-based protein from chickpeas. Top with fresh herbs and roasted cashews for a beautiful meal you’ll make again and again.
Ingredients for this yummy dinner.
The flavors in these vegan noodles are out of this world delicious thanks to a sweet & savory sauce and some fresh herbs. A rainbow of veggies and plant based protein makes it the perfect, well-rounded meal! Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- For the sauce: you’ll need vegan soy sauce (I used gluten free soy sauce), some water, garlic, coconut sugar or brown sugar, sesame oil (I recommend toasted sesame oil), rice vinegar, fresh ginger, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and a little arrowroot starch (or cornstarch) to thicken it.
- For the veggies & chickpeas: we’re tossing these stir fry noodles with onion, shredded carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli and a can of chickpeas.
- Noodles: I like to use stir fry rice noodles, but ramen or soba noodles would be delicious.
- To serve: garnish your bowl with fresh basil leaves, scallions, roasted cashews and some extra sesame seeds. YUM.
Options of different proteins for dinner.
These stir fry noodles make the perfect base for tons of different proteins — plant-based or not! Have fun experimenting with some of these options:
- Tofu: bake, grill or stir fry tofu cubes right with the veggies! You could add cubes or ground/crumbled tofu for a delicious, plant-based protein.
- Chicken: cubed, cooked chicken or even ground chicken would be delicious in this recipe if you’re not vegetarian/vegan.
- Shrimp: do you follow a pescatarian diet (or just like seafood?) try adding some grilled, baked or pan fried shrimp!
- Egg: get fancy and throw a fried egg on top of your stir fry noodles.
In 30 minutes for a perfect dinner.
These vegan noodles come together in just 3o minutes for the perfect weeknight dinner.
- Make your sauce. Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients until well-combined and set it aside.
- Cook the veggies. You’ll then cook down all of those beautiful veggies in a little sesame oil until they’re tender but still have a nice bite to them.
- Cook the noodles. While the veggies are cooking, cook the stir fry noodles according to the directions on the package.
- Add the chickpeas & sauce. Next, stir your drained can of chickpeas into the pot with the cooked veggies. Turn the heat to low and add your stir fry sauce.
- Finish with noodles & enjoy. Once your sauce has thickened a bit, stir in the noodles, basil and cashews and enjoy!
Vegan Stir Fry Sesame Noodles with Veggies
For the Sauce
- 1/3 cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar or sub 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil preferably toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
For The Veggies and Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 white onion cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
For the Noodles
- 10 ounces stir fry rice noodles or ramen noodles or soba noodles
- ½ cup basil leaves ribboned/julienned
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews chopped
- Scallions green part of the onion only
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, garlic, coconut sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and arrowroot starch (or cornstarch). Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil to a large pot then add in chopped onion and sliced carrots and cook for 2-4 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Next add in broccoli and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 6-8 minutes or until broccoli is slightly tender but still have a bite.
- While the veggies are cooking, make your stir fry rice noodles according to the directions on the package. Then drain and set aside.
- Add the drained chickpeas to the pot with the cooked veggies. Immediately turn the heat to low and add in the sauce.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes over low heat until the sauce begins to thicken a bit. It should be nice and saucy.
- Stir in rice noodles, fresh basil ribbons and cashews; toss again to combine. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.